Wednesday, August 16, 2006

is it safe to have a dad crush on a metalhead?

first, apologies to jonesing readers...i don't have a very good excuse for going AWOL, except that i went to New Orleans for a week at the end of June and came back with a desire for my next post to be about that. I'm still trying to figure how to explain the emotions, the experience, and the reality i found there...and the post is coming...it's just taking some time.

so...instead...i give you a little piece of fluff. enjoy.

as you may recall from last year, i have a frightening love of the "Rockstar" reality tv show--born of my equaling frightening love of the band Inxs. Last summer, Rockstar: Inxs captured my attention like no other reality television show has ever done. without it, i am certain i would have been a far more productive human being! when it was announced this year that Rockstar: would continue with a brand new band headlined by Tommy Lee, I was skeptical. I've never been a hard rock kind of girl...motley crue was never how i rolled...i have little to no knowledge of the genre--except, perhaps, of crossover hits like "Enter Sandman" and "Welcome to the Jungle." My knowledge of Tommy Lee's contribution to the world of music is even further limited. I knew him, not as a drummer, but as a familiar face from the pages of my US magazine. (Thank goodness for Wenner Media)

Nevertheless, I endeavored to persevere--committed in equal parts to producer Mark Burnett, and co-star Dave Navarro (who doesn't love a guy with the balls to wax his eyebrows into points and wear arm warmers?)

And lucky me. My knowledge of Enter Sandman and Welcome to the Jungle pays off! Supernova is more than just kooky Tommy Lee! It is Jason Newstead, former bassist for Metallica, and Gilby Clarke, former rhythm guitarist for Guns n' Roses! (Did I know who these people were before hand? Hell no! Does it matter now? No! I am converted!) They are smart where Tommy Lee is not. Clever where he is heavy handed. Good humored where he appears not to "get it."

Which brings me to the title question of this particular post. I have developed a strange crush. It's odd. It's unfathomable. But it's true. I have a dad crush on Jason Newstead. Is that wrong?

Jones, you may say, what exactly is this dad crush you speak of? Well, I'm glad you asked. To be blunt...I would like Jason Newstead to adopt me. He's so supportive and kind...so concerned for the best interests of the crazy rockers on the show. In one night, he cautions Lukas to take care of his "incredible" voice and congratulates Zayra on a beautiful, if completely ludicrous, song. He's the dad we all wanted: slightly nagging, challenging without being critical, supportive without being Ward Cleaver. Is it any wonder that I adore him?

I wonder if he'll give me away at my wedding? If I ask nicely?

fix your jones for the rockstar of your choice @ rockstar.msn.com, jasonizer.com, gilbyclarke.com, tommylee.tv, or 6767.com

Posted by sarah t. at 12:54 PM




2 Comments

  1. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 11:21 PM  
    Hi Jones, It's hammer from LF. I don't watch the show so I don't know if this has already been covered, but Newstead suffered what amounts to a perpetual fraternity hazing for the entirety of his stint in Metallica. He was constantly harassed, creatively stifled, and made, in no uncertain terms, to feel like a second-class member of the band. It's a wonder he lasted as long as he did, and even more amazing he's managed to remain a nice guy.
    Not that it was all bad, I'm sure. He got to play thousands of gigs and become a multi-millionaire during his tenure.
    Anyway, Cheers!
  2. Anonymous vanessa posted at 3:53 PM  
    its obvious some patients with Herpes Virus are being enslaved to the antiviral and other supplementary Orthodox medicine just to help suppress the virus and not a cure. I have been with the virus since 2015 until I was introduced by a blogger who also narrated her story online on how she was cured of HPV after using Dr ALUDA Herbal Medicine. This is a year and 2 weeks since I was delivered from Herpes VIRUS. All thanks to God for using this Great herbalist to heal me. I have promised to keep telling good things about Dr ALUDA. Please feel free to share Your problems with him and don’t forget to tell him I did refer you to Him. Thanks. email him Draludaharbalhome@gmail.com He deals with Alzheimer virus, Cancer, HIV, Herpes, Genital, warts,Multiple Fibroids, ALS, HBV, UTI, Virginal infection, Genital, Wart, HPV, Hepatitis A/B, Good luck, HSV, Cold Sores, Diabetes 1 & 2, Pregnancy, Ex back.

Post a Comment

« Home